During the Christmas period the Autism Bedfordshire office will be closed from 24th December to 2nd January. Our helpline will not be available during this time. 

The office will open again on 2nd January.

If you need help or advice during this period please contact the National Autistic Society here.

Emergency Contacts

Safeguarding Children

If you have concerns about a child please contact one of the following agencies:

During office hours (8:45 am to 5:20 pm Monday to Thursday, 8:45 am to 4:20 pm Friday) you can contact your local Social Care Children's Teams directly.

Children and Families - Social Care Teams

Bedford Borough Council - 01234 718700

Central Bedfordshire Council - 0300 300 8585

Luton Borough Council – 01582 547653

Out of normal working hours emergencies: 0300 300 8123

Safeguarding adults

If you think abuse is taking place - either against you or someone you know - please call Social Services straight away.

During office hours (8:45 am to 5:20 pm Monday to Thursday, 8:45 am to 4:20 pm Friday) call:

Bedford Borough Council - 01234 276222

Central Bedfordshire Council - 0300 300 8122

Luton Borough Council - 01582 547659

Out of normal working hours emergencies: 03003 008123

Mental Health Crisis/Out of Hours

If you feel your mental health is deteriorating or if you are in distress and you need to contact a health professional out of office hours, you can call one of the numbers below for the borough you live in:

For Bedfordshire - call 01234 315691

For Luton - call 01582 538631

Mental Health Emergency: Call 999

A mental health emergency is when there is a risk to self or to others, e.g. a risk of suicide or serious self harm. In this instance, you should call 999 for urgent assistance.

Medical or Physical Health Emergency: Call 999

It is usually obvious if a person is seriously ill and needs immediate emergency care from the ambulance service or the local accident and emergency department.

Urgent Medical Help or Advice: Call 111

You can call 111 when you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency.

Bedfordshire Police

Call  999 if:

  • someone is in immediate danger or harm
  • a serious offence is in progress or has just been committed
  • property is in danger of being damaged
  • a serious disruption to the public is likely

Call  101 for non-emergency enquiries. Using this number, you can report an incident or get help.


Samaritans 116 123 (24 hour crisis line for people contemplating harming themselves)

Saneline 0300 304 7000 4.30pm to 10.30pm every day (Practical information, crisis care and emotional support)

No Panic 0844 967 4848 10am – 10pm every day (For people experiencing panic or anxiety problems)

We wish you all a very happy Christmas holiday.